Welcome to the next generation of training materials for AutoCAD Map 3D, the Practical Guide.
We combined the two most popular books on the market for learning AutoCAD Map 3D; A Practical Guide to AutoCAD Map 3D, by Alex Penny from Digital Node and our own Digging Into AutoCAD Map 3D. Then, we updated and added to this material for the 2012 version to produce the best set of training materials available.
This completely new, large format book is spiral bound, to lie perfectly flat on your desk.
It features nearly 100 exercises organized into 45 lessons in 13 chapters. Each lesson includes detailed descriptions of processes and theory with many illustrations and diagrams, to help you understand “why”, not just “how”.
This brand new courseware focuses on effectively using this powerful software. Each lesson contains concepts, principles, and exercises to effectively apply valuable new skills directly to your daily tasks. You work through real world exercises to reinforce your understanding. This provides you with skills that other professionals are using in the workplace every day.
Instructors: this book is used in classrooms worldwide. Find out more about using it in your next class.
After completing this book, you will be able to:
- Navigate the latest workspace ribbons
- Work with multiple coordinate systems
- Create and edit mapping specific geometry
- Insert rectified raster images
- Work with a variety of attribute data
- Apply object classification to your mapping system
- Import GIS data from a Variety of Sources
- Connect to Data Directly using FDO
- Stylize FDO features
- Connect to raster surface data
- Establish and work within a system of related drawing-based maps
- Attach and query source drawings
- Save back changes to attached source drawings
- Extract data for reports and quantity takeoffs
- Create, manage and analyze topologies
- Produce sophisticated map books
This book is suitable for anyone from general AutoCAD users to seasoned professionals in the Civil Engineering, Surveying, Mapping, Planning, Land Development or GIS industries.
Since AutoCAD Map 3D is part of Civil 3D, as well as a stand-alone product, anyone using Civil 3D can benefit from these powerful, yet often overlooked tools already installed on their computer.
Top 5 reasons to upgrade if you have an earlier edition of our book:
1. Updated screen captures and steps for the changes to the latest workspaces
2. Many new exercises, including:
- Object classification
- Connecting to FDO data
- Stylizing FDO features
- Creating and analyzing topologies
- Publishing map books
3. Greatly expanded explanations of all processes, with theories and descriptions, to help you understand “why”, not just “how”
4. More screen captures to help you quickly and easily understand complex topics
5. Spiral bound to lie perfectly flat on your desk
Features and Benefits of all Cadapult books:
- Lessons build upon one another using a contiguous dataset, providing consistency through the entire book
- Skills learned through easy-to-follow, step-by-step procedures
- Sequential exercises that follow one logical, real-world example project
- Flexible datasets allow you to “skip ahead” to a relevant lesson, or use as an on-demand reference guide
- Detailed explanations and chapter summaries facilitate learning and retention
- Written by instructors with decades of industry and teaching experience
- Tested and refined in classrooms with a broad cross-section of students
This book has 436 pages, organized into 13 chapters, in a large-format, spiral bound volume.
Authors: Rick Ellis, Russell Martin with Alex Penney
Written, printed and published in the United States of America.
Meet the Authors
Rick Ellis, president of Cadapult Software Solutions, Inc, has worked with and taught AutoCAD Civil 3D, along with Map 3D and other Autodesk products since the mid-90s. He is the Author of several critically acclaimed books on AutoCAD Civil 3D, AutoCAD Map 3D, Land Desktop and Carlson Software; including the Practical Guide series.
Rick continues to use AutoCAD Civil 3D on projects in a production environment, in addition to teaching classes to organizations both large and small around the country, helping them get the most out of their design software investment.
This practical background and approach has made him a highly rated speaker at Autodesk University, a member of the national speaker team for the AUGI CAD Camps and a sought after instructor by organizations around the world.
Russell Martin is the technical editor of many of Cadapult Software Solutions’ training books, and is the co-author of “A Practical Guide to AutoCAD Map 3D”, “A Practical Guide to GIS in AutoCAD Civil 3D” and “Digging into AutoCAD Map 3D ” (plus many earlier editions, suitable for learning Map 3D back to the 2004 release). He has also written many articles and white papers on CAD and GIS software.
Russell has nearly three decades of experience using AutoCAD, and has been a power user since release 11, pushing the envelope in the mid-1990s for mapping and analysis using Autodesk Data Extension (ADE) tools, the precursors to AutoCAD Map.
He has taught AutoCAD and AutoCAD Map 3D to hundreds of users; one-on-one, in small classrooms, as well as at large venues including Autodesk University. He welcomes your connection through LinkedIn.